Monday, October 8, 2012

Owl Collage...

Welcome to Day 8 of Blogtoberfest!
Weekends are pretty busy around here, it is the only time Mr. How2 and I can get together and do any needed repairs on the rentals and that's exactly what we did. Along with catching up on yard work and getting things ready for cold weather, I harvested at least thirty huge birdhouse gourds out of my tiny garden. I am now trying to figure out what to do with them. Needless to say, I did not spend a whole lot of time in my studio over the last two days. 

Since time was so scarce, rather than work on my larger canvas, I focused on the small collage I started at the same time. I completed the owl, with paint and paper, and painted her onto a branch. I was not happy with just the cut and paste, so I used my Inktense pencil to add shadow along the cut paper edges, and I am pleased with the way it blended them back into the canvas. Turns out the watercolor paper was great for painting and collage, but a real challenge to glue down to the finished background. I ended up using a stack of books to weigh it down as it dried. Next time, I think I will simply scan both layers into the computer and assemble them digitally, I am kind of angry at myself for not thinking of it earlier!

I also finished my inchie, for Every Inchie Monday, the theme of which is "eternity" this week.
Tough subject, so I tried my hand at Chinese Calligraphy, which I imagine looks like it was done by a child to anyone that actually has any skill in this art! 

Until next time...enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. The owl came out great, I really like the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your owl ~ and calligraphy takes lots of practice ~ not bad though ~ (A Creative Harbor) on Tuesday ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing your art, Sally! I'll need to stop by here again and keep up will all your new creations.

    ReplyDelete