Monday, May 21, 2012

Inspired by Life...

It is finally, truly Spring in the Highlands where I live. As usual she was slow to arrive, and rather tentative about fully participating this year. But she is here and fully committed to staying for awhile.

  I love this time of year, capricious as she can be, and welcome her with open arms. That being said, I will also add that it is a chaotic time as well. I have a huge yard and garden, and I have no control over my own impulses when it comes to planting. It seems every time I turn around, someone (me) has added yet another flower bed, constructed another fairy garden, or started a new variety of vegetable I cannot resist. I am surrounded by beauty and green and growing things, but it all takes maintenance. That would be me...


   I am no longer in my twenties, and I feel this most strongly at the end of a hard day weeding, seeding and crawling around on my hands and knees. A soak in a hot bath just makes me fall asleep faster, so my indoor chores are neglected, or outright ignored. But the thing I have found, the complete irony to this, is that the harder I work physically, the more inspired I become to create my art! My mind is full to the brim with ideas, schemes and plans, and I am a wrung out rag by the end of the day. This seems unfair to me, but apparently that is just how my brain works.

   I am painting many things nature related, what with all the visual stimulus, and I am driven to capture the amazing color that surrounds me. I am dreaming of a time when all the flowers are planted, the irrigation is running smoothly, and the veggis are growing, but not quite ripe. When I can take my paper and paints out to the garden and sit amongst Spring's bounty and breath again. Until next time...enjoy!

Today is Monday, so that means Every Inchie Monday! The theme this week is "labyrinth". In my research on this subject, prior to making my inchie, I discovered there is a difference between a labyrinth and a maze, though the two terms are often used interchangeably.

  A labyrinth has only one path, follow it where ever it twists and turns, but you cannot get lost, the path will lead you to the middle...

"A labyrinth is a single path or unicursal tool for personal, psychological and spiritual transformation. Labyrinths are thought to enhance right brain activity."


A maze, however, is designed with a challenge in mind, with many twists, turns, deadends and exits. 


"A maze is a tour puzzle and can be designed with various levels of difficulty and complexity."


As I read more about them, I discovered that the tradition of building a garden labyrinth is over 4000 years old, and plans and societies currently abound on the internet. 


   You know, I have an entire extra acre that is just in field, plenty of room for a garden labyrinth! Planting one really doesn't look that hard...

14 comments:

  1. Lovely nature creations ~ great art style ~ hope to have a labyrinth installed shortly ~ I love them ~ thanks for info ~ namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I am thinking pretty seriously about installing one as well. Perhaps I could put in an all stone one, rather than more flower beds or hedges. Post pictures of the one you put in, I would love to see it! Thanks for stopping by, namaste.

      Delete
  2. How did you get the whole labyrinth on the inchie? It is so tiny.
    Have a nice week
    Trillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha! Thank God I am limited by a small yard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, mine goes on forever. I have no control. Sad combination...

      Delete
  4. I'm really impressed with how you got all those turns into an inch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing!! I so appreciate the clarification! I have a rather large yard that tries ever so hard to grow green [which it is with all the rain we've enJOYed of late] though I actually have been thinking of making something like a labyrinth and NOW, thanks to your lesson, I think it sounds like a project right for exploring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fascinating, isn't it, Currie Silver? I want one now too. I may opt for a stone one, with landscape fabric underneath, so I am not adding to my work load. But you should see the all perennial one I have envisioned in my head...there is no hope for my obsession, sigh.

      Delete
  6. This reply is for MorningAJ and Trillian both. I cheated! I drew it out first in about a three square, then scanned it in and reduced it down to the one inch. I printed it onto tissue paper, so I could put it over my already painted base, and have the under painting show through. Then I wrote the words and painted the itty bitty heart and added the pink border...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved following the labyrinth, it's great when you can't get lost :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally ~ you are too funny! Enjoyed your post today. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun stuff here, including those beautiful paintings.
    And thank you for the clarification on the one inch labyrinth. I was beginning to think that you were surely a genius to have accomplished such a feat. (Not that you aren't a genius!) :-) Happy gardening. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your art style! I also love tending my yard, although I only get a few minutes here and there while the kiddo naps. We also inherited a rather large expanse of land for my small amount of time, I feel like I'll never get through the weeding/maintaining stage to the planting/prettying stage! But good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fairy garden? I'd love this see it.

    ReplyDelete