Sunday, November 13, 2011

AEDM: Day 13 A City-scape Stencil

I spent the better part of last evening adding more layers and details to my 12" x 12" canvas. At this point, I remembered a diecut I have had for years, from back when I did a lot of scrapbooking. I unearthed it, along with a whole lot of other interesting things I have been saving for years. At first I thought I would just include it in my collage, but it was cut from cardstock, which made me think it might work better as a stencil. So here you can see the silhouette that was created by dry brushing blue acrylic paint around the edges of the diecut. I used a stencil brush, and moved it in a circular motion. I really like the ghostly look, I decided to shift it just a little and add another row of buildings, below the first...I then put the diecut back in it's original place, and used a toothbrush and watered down white acrylic paint to splatter stars around the buildings. I am very happy with the effect, and I still have the diecut to use on another collage. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. The layers under your stencil look amazing. Great colors to go with the blue stencil! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love AEDM... you really get a chance to learn from some amazing artists...this is a great piece.. the colors, the shadowing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using it as a stencil was perfect - I love the effect too. This is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I love the cityscape and the blue shadow does give a ghostly effect that is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the ghostly look too. Die cuts are a good source of stencil material...nice idea.
    Gwen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally! My Girl! What is the next word up from AWESOME? That is so totally cool! I can't even imagine where you are going next, but can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love the ghostly effect that you achieved by shifting the diecut and using the circular strokes. You could do a whole series on that theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments, it is so much fun to share these processes with like minded souls! I am working on the girl and birdhouse in the picture now, and will post the almost finished work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to use the stencil.... I have been enjoying reading and watching what you have been up to through AEDM and this is looking amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the layers and how you moved the stencil down to add another layer of buildings!! Very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete